Thursday, March 12, 2009

fan mail

We get a lot of interesting mail sent to us at Side Effects. While most is pretty generic, every once in a while a great piece of fan mail comes in that makes us smile. Thought I would share one from someone I'll keep anonymous.

I love you guys. Seriously. (I'm not intoxicated.) Your software kicks
ass, but it's the small things that count...

You provide emails without having to resort to using 350 image slices
or 95 HTML tables. You provide intelligent hyperlinks which contain
the URL in your emails instead of the usual "click here". You provide
cryptographic checkums for file downloads. You don't spam the hell out
of me. Your file links are actual file links, rather than JavaScript
wrappers which would prevent the usage of GNU wget(1) or BSD fetch(1).
You don't use the exclamation character in extraneous ways like most
companies, e.g: "New Product!!!!!!" You guys know the correct way to
use an apostrophe. (You'd be surprised.) You provide daily software
builds. Your website isn't, last time I checked, caked with the latest
industry buzzwords like "technology" or "2.0". You provide packages of
your software for non-officially-supported platforms. Your hyperlinks
work without JavaScript.

I have no corporate agenda. I'm not sucking-up for free gifts. It's
just nice to see that there are companies who don't completely ruin
even the simplest things.

Autodesk killed Maya PLE. I'm jumping ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment